The Steep Falls Library is a public library in Standish. The original structure, which is still part of the Library, dates back to 1916 and was designed by renown Maine architect John Calvin Stevens.
The money for the construction of the original building was provided for in the will of Henry Pierce, a Steep Falls native who moved to California in 1850. He became a successful businessman there, and it was this wealth that he left for the building of a library in his home town.
The Steep Falls Public Library today services Standish and the surrounding areas.
Selected Steep Falls Library images:
- Steep Falls Public Library
- Steep Falls Library overdue postcard
- Steep Falls Library float, 1958
- Portland Street, Steep Falls, ca. 1910
- Steep Falls grade school building, 1920s
- Lewis Sisters: Amy, Edna, and Eleanor, Steep Falls, 1935
- Main Street, Steep Falls, Maine, c. 1930
- Mitchell Grain Mill and Store, c. 1930
- Steep Falls Elementary School, ca. 1900
- Steep Falls Grammar School, 1934
- Saco River at Steep Falls
- Old Landmark Square, Steep Falls, 1908